David R. Maass is a shareholder who joined the firm in 2014. He focuses his practice on yacht transactions.
Education and Admissions
LL.M., Admiralty, Tulane University Law School, 2014
J.D., University of Florida Frederic G. Levin College of Law, 2013
A.B., Princeton University, 2009
The Florida Bar
Maritime Law Association of the United States
Admiralty Law Committee, The Florida Bar
International Yacht Brokers Association
Palm Beach County Bar Association
• Liability for Damage Caused by Breakaway Vessels, Compass, Oct.–Nov. 2017, at 6.
• Foreign-Flagged Yachts, Cruising Licenses, and Dutiability, 15 Benedict’s Maritime Bulletin 146 (3d Q. 2017).
• The Dangerous Myth of the Three-Twelve Closing, Compass, Dec. 2016, at 8 (with Mark J. Buhler).
• Sales of Vessels in Florida Maritime Law and Practice 19-1 (Fla. Bar Admiralty Law Comm., 5th ed. 2017) (with Attilio M. Costabel).
• Coast Guard Clarifies Requirements for Foreign-Flagged Yachts, Compass, Apr.–May 2016, at 6.
• A Buyer’s Guide to Sales and Use Taxes, Compass, Oct.–Nov. 2015, at 13.
• Comment, The Safe-Berth Warranty and Its Critics, 39 Tulane Maritime Law Journal 317 (2014).
• Note, Veiled Threats: Will the Second Circuit Hamstring Alter-Ego Claims by Applying Foreign Law?, 38 Tulane Maritime Law Journal 723 (2014).
• Comment, If It Looks Like a Vessel: The Supreme Court’s “Reasonable Observer” Test for Vessel Status, 65 Florida Law Review 895 (2013).
• “Yacht Building Agreements: U.S. and European Builders,” International Yacht Brokers Association, Yacht Sales and the Law Seminar, Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. (Oct. 10, 2017).
• “Foreign-Flagged Yachts, Cruising Licenses, and Dutiability,” Maritime Law Association of the United States, Recreational Boating Committee, New York, N.Y. (May 4, 2017).
• “Limitation of Liability for Yacht Owners,” Florida Yacht Brokers Association, Yacht Sales and the Law Seminar, Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. (Oct. 11, 2016).
• “Marine Insurance Update: Overvaluation and Nondisclosure,” Florida Yacht Brokers Association, Yacht Sales and the Law Seminar, Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. (Oct. 16, 2015).
• “Chartering Under the New AYCA Forms,” American Yacht Charter Association, Charter Seminar, Newport, R.I. (June 24, 2015).